Screveton, a parish, with a village, in Notts, 4 miles from Bingham station on the G.N.R. Post town, Bingham; money order office, Flintham; telegraph office, East Bridgford. Acreage, 1152; population, 172. The manor belongs partly to Earl Manvers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £150 with residence. The church is good, and has chancel, nave, aisles, a tower, and beautiful font (Norman Transition). Dr Thoroton the antiquary was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Screveton St. Winifred|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Screveton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Screveton (St. Winifred))
- Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1904
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Screveton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.