Scofton-with-Osberton, an ecclesiastical parish in Notts, on the river Ryton and the Chesterfield Canal, 2¾ miles E by N of Worksop, and 1½ mile from Checker House station on the M.S. & L.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Worksop. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1875. Population, 388. Osberton Hall is the seat of the Foljambe family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £100 with residence. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scofton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Scofton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.