Ruddington, a parish, with a village, in Notts, 2½ miles from Edwalton station on the M.R., and 4½ S of Nottingham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham. Acreage, 2990; population, 2370. The parish council consists of fifteen members. The Grange is the seat of the Paget family. A college was founded in the time of Henry VI. by W. Babyngton. The manufacture of hosiery is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £270 with residence. Patrons, Simeon's Trustees. The church is in the Decorated style, and was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1887-88. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower with spire, A Norman church, with many old monuments, stood at Flawford, and was taken down in 1773. There are General Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school founded in 1641, a library, and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ruddington St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ruddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ruddington (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ruddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.