Rolleston, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the river Greet near its influx to the Trent, and on the Nottingham and Lincoln railway at the junction of the branch to Southwell, 5 miles W by S of Newark, and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction. Post town, Newark; money order office, Southwell. Acreage, 1679, including 50 of water; population, 208. The parish contains also the township of Fiskerton-cum-Morton. Population, 599. The manor belongs to the Sutton family. The living is a vicarage, with Morton annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1877, 1890, and 1895. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower, and is one of the finest village churches in the county.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rolleston Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rolleston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rolleston (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rolleston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.