Rempstone, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near the boundary with Leicestershire, 3¼ miles NE of Loughborough railway station, and 10 from Nottingham. It has a post and telegraph office under Loughborough; money order office, Wymeswold. The parish comprises 1579 acres; population, 302. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Master of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is an exceedingly plain building dating from 1771. There are also General Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rempstone All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rempstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rempstone (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rempstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.