Ratcliffe on Soar, Nottinghamshire
Ratcliffe-on-Soar, a parish in Notts, on the M.R. and on the river Soar, adjacent to the confluence with the Trent, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 1½ mile N of Kegworth railway station, and 9 SW by S of Nottingham. Post town, Kegworth, under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Kegworth. Acreage, 1135; population, 135. The manor belongs to Earl Howe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £56. Patron, Earl Howe. The church, an ancient structure in the Early English and Decorated styles, was repaired in 1859 and restored in 1894. It has a square tower with octagonal spire, and contains several marble and alabaster tombs to the Sacheverells and others. The only portion now in use is the nave. The church is in great need of restoration.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ratcliffe-on-Soar Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ratcliffe on Soar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ratcliffe-on-Soar (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.