Ranskill, a village and a township in Blyth parish, Notts. The village stands near the G.N.R., 3½ miles S of Bawtry, and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Bawtry; money order office, Blyth. The township comprises 1317 acres; population, 414. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Viscount Gal-way is the chief landowner. The church was erected in 1878 and enlarged in 1893; it consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a church room, formerly the Congregational chapel, and a public reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ranskill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ranskill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.