Radford, a township and two ecclesiastical parishes within the county borough of Nottingham, the latter called Old Radford and New Radford. Population of Old Radford, 21,601; of New Radford, 4273. St Peter's Church (Old Radford) was rebuilt in 1812, and is a neat Gothic edifice with a tower. Christchurch (New Radford) was built in 1847. The living of St Peter and also the living of Christ-church are vicarages in the diocese of Southwell; net value of the former, £1449; of the latter, £300, both with residence. Patron of the former, the Bishop; of the latter, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of St Michael and All Angels was consecrated in 1889 and All Souls in 1894. There are Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, Free Church, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and several mission balls.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Radford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Radford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Radford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Radford (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Radford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.