UK Genealogy Archives logo

Plumtree, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Plumtree, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies 2½ miles W of the Fosse Way, and 5 SSE of Nottingham, with a station on the M.R., and a post and telegraph office under Nottingham; money order office, Keyworth. Acreage,. 1859; population of the civil parish, 270; of the ecclesiastical, 540. The parish contains also the townships of Normanton-on-the Wolds and Clipston-on-the Wolds. The manor belongs to the Burnside family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £600 with residence. The church is partly Norman, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel in the parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPlumtree St. Mary 
Poor Law unionBingham 
WapentakeBingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Plumtree from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Plumtree are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictRushcliffe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG12
Post TownNottingham