Perlethorpe, a parish, with a small village, in Notts, on the river Meden, 2½ miles N by W of Ollerton, and 4 from Checker House station on the M.S. & L.R. It contains also the hamlet of Thoresby, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Ollerton, under Newark. Acreage, 1768; population, 139. The manor belonged to Roger de Bnisli, passed to the Pierreponts, and with Thoresby Hall belongs now to Earl Manvers. The hall is a splendid mansion erected. in 1864-74 in place of the old hall, and stands in a well-wooded park about 10 miles in circuit. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £100. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is a stone building in the Early English style, erected by Earl Manvers in 1876, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south aisle, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and lofty spire. A painting, " The Denial of Peter," by Benjamin West, now hanging at The W end of the church, was hung at the back of the altar-in the former building.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Perlethorpe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Perlethorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.