Papplewick, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Leen, 1 mile ENE of Linby railway station, and 6½ miles S of Mansfield. Post town, Nottingham; money order office, Hucknall Torkard; telegraph office, Linby. The parish comprises 1986 acres; population, 384. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A cave, called Robin Hood's Stable, and cut out of the solid rock, is near the lodge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £90. The church, excepting the tower, was restored in 1795. It is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, S porch, and a fine embattled tower with pinnacles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Papplewick St. James|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Papplewick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Papplewick (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Papplewick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.