Owthorpe, a village and a parish in Notts, on the Gran-tham Canal and adjacent to the Fosse Way, 2½ miles from Widmerpool station on the M.R., and 5 SSW from Bingham. Post town, Nottingham; money order office, Hickling; telegraph office, Widmerpool. Acreage of parish, 1649; population, 105. Owthorpe Hall was the seat of Colonel Hutchin-son, one of the regicides, whose " Memoirs " were written by his wife. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; gross value, £79. The church is old, has a tower, and contains monuments to the memory of several members of the Hutchinson family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Owthorpe St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Owthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Owthorpe (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Owthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.