UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ossington, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Ossington, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands 2½ miles WNW of Carlton railway station, and 4 SSE of Tuxford, and has a post office under Newark; money order office, Sutton-on-Trent; telegraph office, Carlton-on-Trent (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 2412 acres; population, 211. The manor, with Ossington Hall, belonged formerly to the Cartwrights and the Cranmers, and belongs now to the Denison family. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £40. The church is a building in the Grecian style, and consists of chancel, nave, and a tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishOssington Holy Rood 
Poor Law unionSouthwell 
WapentakeThurgarton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ossington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ossington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNewark and Sherwood
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG23
Post TownNewark