Osberton, a lordship in Worksop parish, Notts, on the river Ryton and the Chesterfield Canal, 3 miles E of Worksop station on the M.S. & L.R. and M.R. In 1875 it was formed with Scofton into an ecclesiastical parish. Population, 388. Most of the property, with Osberton Hall, belongs to the Foljambe family, who are lords of the manor. Osberton Hall, an elegant mansion, stands amid beautiful grounds, and contains a valuable museum. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Scofton, in the diocese of Southwell. The church is a small building in the Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Osberton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.