Orston, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near the river Smite, three-quarters of a mile N of Eiton and Orston station on the G.N.R., 1½ W of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 4½ miles E by N of Bingham, and has a post office under Nottingham; money order and telegraph office, Bottesford. The parish comprises 1955 acres; population, 408. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers, A mineral spring is near the village. Gypsum abounds and is manufactured into plaster of Paris. The living is a vicarage, united with Thoroton, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £273 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church presents a mixture of Norman and Pointed architecture, has a low tower and chancel, and nave of three bays and aisles. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Orston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Orston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Orston (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1904
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Orston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.