Ordsall, a parish in Notts, on the river Idle, near the intersection of the G.N.R. and the M.S. & L.R., 1 mile S of Retford Junction station, with a post office under Retford; money order and telegraph office, Retford. It was incorporated with East Retford in 1878, and contains the districts of Thrumpton, Whitehouses, Westfield, and South Retford. Acreage, 2061; population, 3852. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £275. Patron, the Earl of Whamcliffe. The church is old, in the Pointed style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower; it was thoroughly restored in 1878 at a cost of nearly £3500.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ordsall All Saints|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ordsall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ordsall (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ordsall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.