Norwell, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies on an affluent of the river Trent, 2 miles SW of Carlton railway station, and 3 N by W of Newark, and has a post office under Newark; money order office, Caunton; telegraph office, Carlton-on-Trent (R.S.) Acreage of township, 2569; population, 441; of the ecclesiastical parish, 534. The parish contains also the township of Norwell Woodhouse and The ecclesiastical parish of Carlton-upon-Trent. The chief landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is in the Early English style, comprises nave, aisles, transepts, S transept chapel, and chancel restored in 1858, with a tower, and contains a stone effigies of a knight and several mural tablets. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Norwell St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norwell (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Norwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.