North Wheatley, Nottinghamshire
Wheatley, North, a parish, with a village, in Notts, 1½ mile NW of Sturton railway station on the M.S. & L.R., and 5 miles NE of East Retford. Post town, East Retford; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Steeple. Acreage, 2191; population, 400. There is a parish council of seven members. The manor belongs to Lord Middleton. The living is a rectory, united with South Wheatley and West Burton, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £480 with residence. The church is in the Late Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Wheatley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Wheatley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wheatley, North (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Wheatley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.