Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
Wilbraham, Great, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile E by N of Fulbourn station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles E by S of Cambridge. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Cambridge. Acreage, 2921; population, 523. The manor belonged anciently to the Knights Templars, and, with the Temple, belongs now to the Hicks family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, and has been well restored. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wilbraham St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Wilbraham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wilbraham, Great (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Wilbraham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.