North Clifton, Nottinghamshire
Clifton, North, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the river Trent, 3 miles SW of Torksey station on the M.S. & L.R., and 12 N of Newark, and has a ferry on the Trent, and a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Newton-on-Trent. Acreage, 1097; population, 144. The parish contains also the township of South Clifton. Gypsum is found. A red cliff on Clifton Hill, about a mile long, has yielded great numbers of sepulchral remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Clifton St. George|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Clifton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clifton, North (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Clifton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.