Normanton upon Soar, Nottinghamshire
Normanton-upon-Soar, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Soar at the boundary with Leicestershire, adjacent to the Derby and Leicester railway, 2¼ miles NNW of Loughborough, and half a mile from Hathern station on the M.R. It has a post office under Loughborough; money order office, Sutton Bonington; telegraph office, Hathern (R.S.) The parish comprises 1449 acres; population, 339. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. There are market-gardens, brickfields, and limekilns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of South-well; net value, £440 with residence. The church is old, but was restored in 1889; it is cruciform, with tower and lofty spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Normanton-upon-Soar St. John|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Normanton upon Soar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Normanton-Upon-Soar (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.