Misson, a village and a parish in Notts. Until 1886. part of the parish was deemed to be situated in Lincolnshire, but in that year it was ordained by an order of the Local Government Board under the Redistribution of Seats Act,. 1885. to be for parliamentary purposes entirely in the Bassetlaw division of Notts. It is now held to be a parish in Notts for all purposes. The village stands on the river Idle, near the Misson Levels or Car, 1½ mile E of the boundary with Yorkshire, 2½ miles WSW of the boundary with. Lincolnshire, and 3 ENE of Bawtry railway station, and has a post office under Bawtry; money order and telegraph office, Bawtry. The parish contains also the hamlets of Newington and Misson Springs. Acreage of the parish, —173, of which 38 are water; population, 574. The manor belonged once to Mattersey priory, and belongs now to the Hetts. Misson Levels or Car is part of a wide and entirelyflat plain, extending into Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, oncecovered with water and now intersected by numerous drains or canals, and a base-line of the Trigonometrical Survey was measured on it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £151 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, aisles, andchancel, with a pinnacled tower, and was restored in 1882 and again in 1886. It was partly destroyed by fire in 1893,but thoroughly restored in 1894. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery, institute and reading-room, and an endowed parochial school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Doncaster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Misson from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Misson are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.