Mattersey or Mattersea, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Idle, 2 miles E of Kanskill station on the G.N.R., and 3½ SE of Bawtry; was once a market-town, and has a post office under Bawtry; money order office, Everton; telegraph office, Eanskill (E.S.) The parish contains also the hamlet of Thorpe or Mattersey Thorpe, 1 mile NW of the village. Acreage, 2459; population, 322. The manor belonged anciently to the Maresays, was given before 1192 to a Gilbertine priory then founded on it, passed to the Nevilles, the Hickmans, and others, and belongs now to the Duke of Portland. Eemains of the priory still stand about a mile from the village. Blaco Hill, about a mile SE of the village, is 118 feet high. There are sand pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church has an embattled tower, and contains two curious carvings found in 1804, and supposed to have belonged to the priory. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mattersey All Saints|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mattersey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mattersey (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mattersey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.