Low Lowdham, Nottinghamshire
Low Lowdham, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Trent, 5½ miles SSW of Southwell, and has a station on the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham. The township includes the village and extends into the country. There are brickworks and a tanyard. The parish contains also the townships of Caythorpe and Gunthorpe. Acreage, 3163, including 37 of water; population, 1393. The manor belongs to the Broughtons. The living is a vicarage, with Gnnthorpe and Caythorpe annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £176 -with residence. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is an old building in the Early English style, and has chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a tower, with small spire. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lowdham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Low Lowdham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lowdham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.