Littleborough, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 2 miles NNE of Cottam station on the M.S. & L.R., and 8½ E by N of East Eetford. Post town, Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Steeple. Acreage, 345, besides 17 of tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 50; of the ecclesiastical parish of Littleborough-with-Cottam, 187. The manor belongs to the Foljambe family. The Roman station Angelocum or Segelocum was here, and Roman altars, ums, coins, and traces of buildings have been found. A notable ferry over the Trent has been here from ancient times. The living is a vicarage, with that of Cottam annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £162. The church is Norman and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Littleborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Littleborough)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Littleborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.