UK Genealogy Archives logo

Laxton or Lexington, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Laxton or Lexington, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands 3½ miles SW by S of Tuxford railway .station, has a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Tuxford. The parish contains also the .hamlet and chapelry of Moorhouse, and comprises 4007 acres; population, 428. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £205 with residence. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, was thoroughly restored in 1860, and contains some old monuments. The chapel at Moorhouse, occupying the site of a very old chapel, was built in 1861. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. Bishop Chappell was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishLaxton St. Michael 
Poor Law unionSouthwell 
WapentakeBassetlaw 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Laxton or Lexington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.