Kneesall, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The village stands 4 miles SE by E of Ollerton, and 6 W of Carlton railway station. It has a post office under Newark; money order office, Caunton; telegraph office, Ollerton. The township includes the village. Acreage, 2311; population, 284. The parish contains also the townships of Kersall and Ompton. Acreage, 3594; population, 394. The manor of Kneesal belongs to Earl Manvers, and that of Kersall is held by the Duke of Newcastle under the Duchy of Lancaster. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £242 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kneesall St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kneesall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kneesall (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kneesall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.