Kirklington, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Greet, 3 miles NW of South-well, with a station on the M.R., and a post and telegraph office under Southwell; money order office, Southwell. The parish comprises 1989 acres; population, 168. The manor, with Kirklington Hall, belongs to the Whetham family. The hall is an elegant mansion, and stands in a large park with a fine lake and plantations. An ancient camp is in the W. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £168 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is a neat structure with a pinnacled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirklington St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirklington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kirklington (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirklington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.