UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kelham, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Kelham, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, 2 miles NW of Newark station on the G.N.R. and M.R. It has a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Newark. Acreage, 1862; population, 224. The manor belongs to the Manners-Sutton family, whose seat, Kelham Hall, is a recent and handsome mansion. A five-arched bridge of brick, with stone dressings, here crosses the Trent, and was built in lieu of an iron bridge swept away by a freshet with ice in 1854. The living is annexed to the rectory of Averham, in the diocese of Southwell; net joint value, £567 with residence, The church is Later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; was restored and reseated in 1873; and includes, in a mortuary chapel, a handsome altar monument to Lord and Lady Lexington.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishKelham St. Wilfrid 
Poor Law unionSouthwell 
WapentakeThurgarton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kelham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Kelham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNewark and Sherwood
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG23
Post TownNewark