Holme, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, 3½ miles N of Newark stations on the G.N.R. and M.R. Post town, Newark; money order and telegraph office, Collingham. Acreage, 1128; population, 100. The manor belongs to the Duk— of Newcastle. Holme Hall was, in the middle of the 17tb century, the residence of Lord Bellasis, and has ever since then been occupied as a farmhouse. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of Holme with Langford, 281. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langford, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £145 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower, and was partially restored in 1883. It has over its porch, "Nan Scott's. Chamber," to which a woman of that name fled from the Great Plague.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holme St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holme (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Holme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.