Hickling, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the Dalby brook, near the Grantham Canal, the Fosse Way, and the boundary with Leicestershire, 3 miles from Widmer-pool and Upper Broughton stations on the M.R., and has a. post and money order office under Melton Mowbray; telegraph office, Upper Broughton (R.S.) The parish comprises 2866 acres; population, 448. Roman coins have been found, and some evidence exists for supposing that there was a Roman station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £430 with residence. Patrons, Queens' College, Cambridge. The church is an old building in the Early English style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a pre-Norman sculptured stone, and a brass of 1521. The chancel was rebuilt in 1845, the tower in 1873, and the nave and aisles were restored in 1886. There are a Wesleyan chapel and small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hickling St. Luke|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hickling from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hickling (St. Luke))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hickling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.