Hayton, a village and a parish in East Retford union, Notts, on the Chesterfield Canal, 3 miles E of Sutton railway station, 139 from London, and 3 NE by N of East Retford. The parish includes the hamlet of Tyin, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Retford. Acreage, 2403; population, 252. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. There was formerly a moated castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwcll; gross value, £149 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. Th— church is Norman, with a lofty tower, and was restored in 1858. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hayton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hayton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.