Hawksworth, a village and a parish in Notts, on an affluent of the river Trent, 3 miles N by E of Aslockton railway station, and 5 NE of Bingham. There is a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Flintham; telegraph office, Bingham. Acreage, 694; population, 147. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £200 with residence. The church is partly Early English, has a massive square tower, was repaired about 1844, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1851. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hawksworth St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hawksworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hawksworth (St. Mary and All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1904
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hawksworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.