Harworth, a parish in Worksop union, Notts, adjacent to Yorkshire, 2 miles SE of TickhiU, and 3 WSW of Bawtry railway station. It includes part of the townships of Old-cotes and Styrrup, and has a post office under Rotherham; money order and telegraph office, TickhiU. Acreage, 4532; population, 593. The manor, with Serlby Hall, belongs to Viscount Galway. Ruins of a convent are in a wood adjacent to Serlby Hall park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £433 with residence. The church is a building in the Early English and Decorated styles, and was rebuilt in 1869; it consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with S porch and square tower, and contains several mural monuments. There is an hospital, founded prior to 1316, with an endowment now producing about £120 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harworth (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.