Harby (formerly Hareby), a village and a township in North Clifton parish, Notts, adjacent to Lincolnshire, 4 miles from Thorpe station on the M.R., and 8½ E by S of Tuxford. There is a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Saxilby. Acreage, 1229; population of township, 297 y of entire ecclesiastical parish, 342. Harby forms with Swinethorpe an ecclesiastical parish, part of which is in Lincolnshire. Queen Eleanor died here, and Edward I. founded a chantry chapel in which masses were to be offered in perpetuity for the repose of his wife's soul. The living of Harby with Swinethorpe is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £174. Patron, the Bishop of South-well. The present church was erected in 1875, in the place of an older one, and is a cruciform stone building, with a lofty spire and a statue of Queen Eleanor in a niche, on the E side of the tower. There are Wesleyan and Reformed Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||North Clifton|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.