Halloughton, a village and a parish in Notts, on an affluent of the river Trent, 1½ mile SSW of Southwell railway station. Post town, Southwell. Acreage, 987; population, 65. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are the principal landowners. There is a curious old house, once the residence of the prebend of Halloughton-prebend of Southwell. The living is a vicarage, with Bleasby, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Halloughton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halloughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Halloughton (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Halloughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.