Gamlingay, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles NNE of Potton, is large and populous, was once a market-town, and has now a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Sandy. The parish contains also the hamlets of Woodbury and Tetworth. Acreage, 4460; population, 1692. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a rectory, in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £295 with residence. Patron of the former, the Bishop of Ely; of the latter, Merton College, Oxford. The church is Early English, and very handsome. It was restored in 1881. There is also a church at Gamlingay Heath, erected in 1886. There are Baptist, Calvinistic, Wesleyan-, and Primitive Methodist chapels. Woodbury Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gamlingay St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gamlingay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gamlingay (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gamlingay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.