Girton, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, contiguous to Lincolnshire, 2½ miles from Crow Park station on the G.N.R., same distance from Collingham onNotts and Lincoln section of theM.R., and 7¼ from Newark. Post town, Collingham, under Newark. Acreage, 1052; population of the civil parish, 125; of the ecclesiastical, -"205. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of South .Scarle and the chapelry of Besthorpe, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net yearly value, £230 with residence, in the gift of the Lord -Chancellor. The church is an ancient building with a small tower, and was partly rebuilt and thoroughly restored in 1879. There is a Free Methodist —chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Girton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Girton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.