Gamston (Retford), Nottinghamshire
Gamston, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Idle, near the G.N.R., 3½ miles S of Retford, and has a post office under Retford; money order and telegraph office, Retford. The township comprises 1974 acres; population of the civil parish, 238; of the ecclesiastical, 384. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage-of Eaton annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net yearlyvalue, JE142 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is Later English, and good, and there is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gamston St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gamston (Retford) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gamston (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.