Fledborough, a village and a parish in Notts, on the Trent, 4 miles ENE of Tuxford railway station. The parish includes Woodcotes hamlet, and its post town is Dunham-on-Trent, under Newark. Acreage, 1449; population. 105. Earl Manvers is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net yearly value, £210 with residence. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church, dedicated to St Gregory, has some stained glass, and is good. The nave and aisles are of Edward II. period, the tower being older. The chancel has been partially restored. The manor once belonged to the Lady Godiva. There was once a college of chantry priests here, and the NE end of the north aisle was a chantry chapel. Dr. Arnold's wife was a. daughter of one of the rectors of Fledborough, and they were-married in Fledborough church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fledborough St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fledborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fledborough (St. Gregory))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fledborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.