Foxton, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the G.N.R., on which it has a station, 6½ miles NE of Royston. It has a post office under Royston; money order office, Harston; telegraph office, Shepreth (R.S.) It was once a market-town, and has still a fair in Easter week. The parish comprises 1752 acres; population, 436. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £187 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. There are a Wesleyan chapel and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Foxton St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Foxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Foxton (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Foxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.