Farndon, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Trent and the Fosse Way, near the Newark and Nottingham railway, 2½ miles SW by W of Newark station on the G.N.R. There is a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Newark. Acreage, 1881; population, 699. There are malthouses and large osier beds in this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a very handsome edifice, which was completely restored in 1893, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a national school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farndon St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farndon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Farndon (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.