Everton, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies near the Chesterfield Canal and the river Idle, 2 miles E of Scrooby railway station, and 3 SE of Bawtry, and it includes the hamlet of Harwell, part of Drakeholes hamlet, and has a post office under Bawtry; money order and telegraph office, Bawtry. The parish includes also the township of Scaftworth. Acreage of township, 3819; population, 637; of parish, 747. Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £188 with residence. The church is a massive ancient building with a Norman tower, and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a small cemetery formed in 1885, and considerable charities. There are still marshes in the parish, though some have been drained and converted into arable land by a commission under the Everton, &c., Drainage Act, 1860.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Everton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Everton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Everton (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Everton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.