Epperstone, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts, on an affluent of the river Trent, 2½ miles NW of Lowdham rail-way station, and 7 SW of Southwell. The affluent, Dover Beck, is a lovely little trout stream. There is a post and monev order office under Nottingham; telegraph office, Lowdham. Acreage, 2504; population, 378. There is a paper mill, and Roman coins have been found. The country around is beautifully undulating. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, o£210 with residence. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was restored in 1854. There are two Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Epperston Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Epperstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Epperston (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Epperstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.