Elston, a parish in Notts. The parish lies near Car Dyke, about 2 miles from the river Trent, 3¼ SE of Fiskerton railway station, and 5 SW of Newark. It has a post office under Newark; money order office, Flintham; telegraph office, Newark. Acreage, 1610; population, 325. Elston Hall was the birthplace of Dr Darwin. Middleton House is a mansion in the Tudor Gothic style, and has a chapel with baptistery and organ annexed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £135 with residence The church contains monuments of the Darwins, and was renovated in 1859. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, alms-houses founded by Mrs Ann Darwin for four poor widows, and a charity called the Poor's Close, consisting of 30 gardens, the rents of which are distributed among the widows and infirm.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elston All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elston (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.