Elksley, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Poulter, 4½ miles SSW of Retford railway station, with a post office under Retford; money order and telegraph office, Retford. Acreage, 2661; population, 268. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is ancient and good, and has a tower; it was partly rebuilt in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elksley St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elksley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elksley (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.