UK Genealogy Archives logo

Foulmire, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Foulmire, a parish in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to Herts and Essex, 2 miles ESE of Shepreth station on the G.N.R., and 5½ NE of Royston. It has a post and money order office under Royston; telegraph office, Shepreth (R.S.) Acreage, 2272; population, 543. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £419 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Hardwicke. The church is a fine building of flint in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishFoulmire St. Mary 
HundredThriplow 
Poor Law unionRoyston 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Foulmire from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Foulmire are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG8
Post TownRoyston