Eaton, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Idle and the Great North road, 2 miles SSE of East Retford railway station. Post town, Retford. Acreage, 1526; population, 138. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Garnston annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £142 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is a modern building, erected on the site of an ancient Norman church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Eaton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eaton, or Idletown (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Eaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.