East Stoke, Nottinghamshire
Stoke, East, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, 2 miles S by E of Fiskerton railway station and 4 SW of Newark. There is a post office under Newark; money order office, Flintham; telegraph office, Newark. Acreage, 4687; population, 202. Stoke Hall is the seat of the Bromley family, who are lords of the manor. Stoke Field was the scene of Henry VII.'s defeat of Lambert Simnel in 1487. The living is a vicarage, with Syerston annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £173 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is a small building in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and a low square tower. The chancel was restored in 1873-74, and repaired in 1876. An hospital was founded before the time of Henry I.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Stoke St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Stoke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke, East (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Stoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.