East Leake, Nottinghamshire
Leake, East, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, 2 miles N of the boundary with Leicestershire, 3½ ESE of Kegworth railway station, and 5 N by E of Loughborough, and is a polling-place. It has a post and money order office under Lough-borough; telegraph office, Rempstone. The parish comprises 2530 acres; population, 819. Framework knitting and fancy basket-making are largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £340. The church is an ancient stone building in the Early English and Decorated styles, consists of nave, aisle, and large chancel, with tower and spire. It was built on the site of an older one, the foundations of the chancel of which were discovered during the recent restoration of the present church. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Leake St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Leake from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leake, East (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Leake are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.